Thursday, October 29, 2009

Good Use of Ligature



This week's assignment was to find ligatures put to good use. It was surprisingly hard to find some, but I did end up finding two in an issue of CosmoGirl magazine at my house around 10:00 on Thursday, October 29th. The first one here, the fragrance advertisement for Hilary Duff (its actually the second picture, sorry), may be hard to see. The "t" and the "h" on the word with both share the same stroke; the ending stroke of the "h" loops back over to the "t" to cross itself. I thought it was very clever to use that same stroke in both letters; a separate cross stroke on the "t" might look weird, especially with the cursive like typeface. Another example I found was for the popular company FILA. Here, the "L" connects itself with the one leg of the "A." This one, I felt, might be more well known than the other example. It is also a more obvious ligature than the other example.

No comments:

Post a Comment